Thursday, September 12, 2024

from The Climax Blues Band - Plays On (1969)

This is a decent platter, for what it is, but what it is is british blues rock, and that's usually too derivative a genre to really pique my interest (even if one can acknowledge that it laid the groundwork for many a fine musical thing to come out of old Albion). Nothing in here is exactly subpar, but it isn't particularly exciting or innovative either: even when they try to zag, it's to ape Also Sprach Zaratustra, which still gets them no points for originality (at least they didn't go for the levels of classicalsploitation© Deodato's funky version would, later on). Despite all that, the opener "Flight" does offer a nice electric ride, and it doesn't get bogged down by all the faux-"my baby done left me" stuff, so I can see myself revisiting that one from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment