Sunday, October 6, 2024

from Erasmo Carlos - 1990 - Projeto Salva Terra! (1974)


In all fairness, I am not at all familiar with Erasmo's career and, considering his association with heart-throb superstar (no idea why) Roberto Carlos, I can't say that's a priority for me; so I have no idea what his deal was; but this record, which I can't for the life of me recall how I ever came to cross paths with, suggests that, at least at the time it came out, neither did he. There's some awful stuff in here (as that cover duly warned us, in what can only be understood as a legally binding graphic caveat emptor, making us share in the blame for, having seen it, still going ahead and actually listen to what's inside), particularly a few country and piano rock numbers, which immediately made this album one I never imagined could harbor anything redeeming; but, surprise, surprise, "Deitar e Rolar" is a breezy number that could give Marcos Valle's best tunes a run for their money (not that there's all that many of them either, for my taste anyway), and "Cachaça Mecânica" is a fatalistic march that borrows to good effect a number of Chico Buarque tropes, from Funeral de um Lavrador to Construção (perhaps, again, via Marcos Valle's borrowing of the same, also for one of his best songs, Samba Fatal), and that is always a sign of good taste worth acknowledging. Pity it appears to have been little more than a sign, judging by this album, but I'd have to investigate further to pass a final sentence on the matter. 
I might also just live with the doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment